Pacifies Vata - Pitta - Kapha
1/2 cup basmati rice
1 cup mung dal
6 cups (approx.) water
1/2 ginger root, chopped or grated
Pinch of sea salt
2 tsp. ghee or coconut oil
1/2 tsp. coriander powder
1/2 tsp. cumin powder
1/2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
Handful of fresh coriander leaves
Seasonal Chopped vegetables
1)Soak dal overnight to make it more digestible
2) Following day, wash white basmati rice twice. Rinse the dal.
2) Add the 6 cups of water to the rice and dal and cook covered until it becomes soft, about 20 minutes.
3)While that is cooking, prepare any vegetables that suit your constitution / seasonal vegetables. Cut them into smallish pieces. 4) Add the vegetables to the cooked rice and dal mixture and cook 10 minutes longer. Cover.
5) In a separate saucepan, add the mustard seeds in the ghee or coconut oil until they pop. Then add the other spices. Stir together to release the flavors.
6) Add the spices into the cooked dal, rice, and vegetable mixture.
7) Add the sea salt, chopped fresh coriander, a bit of ghee or oil and serve.